Meetings, Events & News
Mark Your Calendar
Below you will find announcements about upcoming meetings, caving events and caving news. If you have an item that you would like to have posted on this page, please email us with the details.
August 20, 2017 MCKC Board Meeting – Sunday, 10 a.m. Berome Moore Cave property, Perryville, MO. Survey work will take place that weekend and give everyone who will be in the area until Monday a front row seat to experience the total eclipse.
September 17, 2017 MSS Board Meeting – Sunday, 10 a.m. Berome Moore Cave property, Perryville, MO. Survey work will be conducted during the weekend.
Other Cave Activities
The next volunteer workday at Goodwin Sinkhole will most likely be in early June. If you would like to add your name to the volunteer email list, please send an email to the Goodwin Restoration Manager. We will send an email blast when the next workday is scheduled.
With the heavy rainfall the end of April and the beginning of May, the sinkhole filled three times and has had to drain more than 1o million gallons of water. The water in the sinkhole and cave is receding slowly because the water level in the surrounding creeks is still high.
2017 DNR Summer Professional Development Program is taking applications for paid and unpaid internships until March 15, so students still have plenty of time to apply. Currently, only 40 people have applied for the 60+ positions
Everything applicants need to apply for a summer internship can be found here:www.dnr.mo.gov/hr/internships.htm.
Guide positions open at Blanchard Springs Caverns – The Ozark-St. Francis National Forest is seeking candidates to fill 8,GS-0090-04, Guide positions on the Sylamore-St Francis Ranger Districts. These positions are located on the Sylamore Ranger District at Blanchard Springs Caverns. The duty station for these positions will be Fifty Six, AR. Get details here: Outreach_Guide_Sylamore
- October 2017 Rural Missouri, A Cave to Save by Zach Smith.
- March 2017 issue of Conservation Federation of Missouri‘s magazine – Goodwin Sinkhole article, page 48.
- April 2016 Bats on the Rebound by Kathy Love, The New Territory magazine.
- February 12, 2016 An IV Flow Sensor Inspired By Blind Cave Fish Researchers have developed an IV flow sensor inspired by the neuromasts that give the blind cave fish its ability to detect its surroundings.
- January 24, 2016 Blackfathom River Cave Among the Discoveries that Push Missouri’s Cave Count over 7000
- August 6, 2015 Divers Discover Unseen World in Lewis Cave, Wes Johnson, reporter for Springfield News-Leader.
- June 29, 2015 Eerie Devils Well, Wes Johnson, reporter for Springfield News-Leader
- June 28, 2015 Devils Well Daily American Republic 6.28.2015 comp
- March 20, 2015 Springfield News-Leader. Crystal Caverns Vandals: Here’s a Chance to Do Right by reporter Wes Johnson.
- March 19, 2015 KY3-TV reporter Mike Landis talks with Jonathan Beard, MCKC Vice President about the vandalism at Crystal Caverns. Crime in a Cave.
- March 11, 2015 Barry County Sheriff’s Office Investigates Vandalism at Crystal Caverns. October 30, 2014 Going deep: Divers discover unseen world at Bennett Spring
- January 16, 2014 Sinkholes in Missouri Bring Pollution Threats –Water pollution proves to be the little-known threat behind sinkholes. Samantha Hubbard, a reporter for Vox Magazine, University of Missouri – School of Journalism, participated in a Goodwin Sinkhole work day in October 2013 to gather information for her story.
- December 16, 2013 Battle For Bats: Surviving White Nose Syndrome – The latest WNS film produced by Ravenswood Media for the U. S. Forest Service.
- December 11, 2013 Fall 2013 Vol. 6 Issue 2 Vol. Beneath the Forest, a caves and karst newsletter published by the Forest Service of the U. S. Dept. of Agriculture.
- November 21, 2013 Water Quality Will Determine Grotto Sculpin’s Status by Emily Priddy in the Southeast Missourian.
- October 17, 2013 In the Fall 2013 issue of the Missouri Department of Natural Resources quarterly magazine, Missouri Resources, read Playground with a Past by Larry Archer. He covers some of Goodwin Pit Sinkhole & Cave historical background and reports on MCKC’s restoration work that began in 2012.
- April 26, 2013 Over two weekends, March 30th and April 13th, cavers from Missouri’s Meramec Valley, Middle Mississippi Valley and Southeast Missouri Grottos came together to remove over 1,000 tires from a number if sinkholes in Perry County >>Read More
- February 27, 2013 Dianne Steingrubey, reporter with the Lake Today wrote an article about the Goodwin Pit cleanup last February and followed with another story about the current status of the project.
- December 7, 2012 MCKC’s Goodwin Pit Cave property, Lake Expo story by Nathan Bechtold.